Tuesday 27 May 2014

Student becomes lecturer - Dr. Sharon Phelan


Sharon - seated on the churn in "Fadó Fadó"
It was evening time in the small village of Finuge, near Listowel in County Kerry, as my parents’ car drew up in front of a whitewashed cottage. The sun was setting over the thatched roof and as I turned towards the cottage I saw a cobbled pathway leading to a green half-door. Inside, the sunlight streamed through the small cottage windows onto a grey flagged, stone floor. I looked around. The walls were whitewashed, the roof had black beams and there was a turf fire smouldering in a large hearth. Larger flagstones surrounded it.1 I had never seen anything like this before. After a while, my name was called and I auditioned for a place at the Teach Siamsa.

In the early days... Dance master Jimmy Smith teaching in Teach Siamsa Finuge

A week later, a letter bearing the Siamsa motif was delivered through the letter box. I had been accepted into the three-year programme at Teach Siamsa. This was to become a turning point in my life. Emotionally, it would instil an unending love for Irish folk culture. It would also provide a close circle of friends. Intellectually, it would inspire my academic work and professionally, it would influence my role in education and the arts. Although, the Tithe Siamsa, originated in the early seventies, they encapsulated a way of life which had existed for centuries. At Ahern’s Teach Siamsa, I became part of a living tradition that is ever-changing and responds to Ireland’s heartbeat. My teachers fulfilled Pat Ahern’s dream. “They captured the traditional way of life and they passed it on to the student”.

The Foxchase from "Sean agus Nua" , Sharon is on the far right.
 Recently, I published a book with Cambridge Scholars Press. It focuses on folklore and folk dance in Ireland and it culminates with the works of Pat Ahern. I want to express thanks to Siamsa Tíre for giving me the opportunity to give a lecture, about the philosophy and works of Pat Ahern, founding Director of Siamsa Tire on Friday May 30th at 7pm.

Le gach dea ghuí, Sharon Phelan.

  
Sharon today viewing some of the photographs on display as part of our 40th Anniversary exhibition.

Dr. Phelan lectures in ethnochoreology, drama and cultural theory at the Institute of Technology, in Tralee, Co. Kerry.

No comments:

Post a Comment