Tuesday 5 August 2014

A message from Dubai - it's Justin Walsh!

Lost in music – Justin as a young boy in the 1991 production Ding Dong Dedero
Growing up in Siamsa was probably one of the best experiences I had as a child. It was a place I came and shared similar interests with other kids and I loved it. Life-long friendships have been made from Siamsa and the Siamsa family will always have a special place in my heart. 
There are countless great and wonderful memories over the years, from early Finuge days to summer seasons to my favorite time of the year, Christmas. I always loved the Christmas shows and there was always so many of us involved. The rehearsals were long for the Christmas shows but we didn't mind because we were getting up to mischief and playing spin the bottle in one of the dressing rooms or in the back of the auditorium, ha-ha!
 

Justin in the back row, second from the right with the Siamsa 'Family' during President Mary McAleese's visit
Touring was also one of the best memories I have of Siamsa, two of which stand out for me. Expo 92 Seville, Spain and also Washington DC (1999). Expo was special because it was the first time I was traveling to another country and first time ever on a plane and I guess with all the excitement I forgot to pack the most important item for the tour...my dancing shoes! Thankfully Geraldine came to the rescue and helped, and I think we solved it by me wearing Aideen Morgan’s shoes for the trip and also avoided telling Fr Pat (whew)

The Washington tour
 The tour to Washington was also amazing and brings back great memories, especially of Martin (Whelan). He really enjoyed that tour and looked after us all really well. Ford’s Theatre where we performed was great and the whole overall experience was all very exciting. We even got a tour of the White House! We had so much fun and laughter on that trip! One funny memory I have is at one of the after parties in someone's room - I managed to fit into a suitcase with just my head sticking out and of course my lovely Siamsa family decided it would be a great idea to put me out in the hall and in the lift!!! Great, great memories! And of course touring with Siamsa set me up and gave me a little taste of what was yet to come with my own touring life with the various Irish dance shows later on.

Justin performing on stage as part of St. Patrick’s day celebrations in Dubai this year.
I appreciate so much what Siamsa has done for me in life - it taught me everything there is to know about theatre and life on stage. Siamsa has always welcomed me back and for that I am forever grateful. Today I live and work in Dubai for Emirates airline and unfortunately the shoes are not as much in use as they used to be. However I did dust them off recently for Paddy's Day and danced again - even the camel enjoyed it! Happy 40th, Siamsa and here's to the next 40 - sending love from Dubai and see you all very soon

Justin
Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment