Wednesday 30 July 2014

Where's my jumper? Fadó Fadó Costumes by Joan Hickson

I am very happy to be involved in the production of Siamsa Tíre’s "Fadó Fadó", especially as I very much enjoyed working on "Tearmann" one of their previous shows.


My brief has been to design costumes which are true to the period from 1900 to 1950. I was especially attracted to the different patterns for the ladies’ dresses, blouses and skirts. I like the layering of clothing in the use of aprons, housecoats and hand knitted cardigans, particularly those worn in the 30s, 40s and 50s, an Ireland where people made their own clothes. Some of the cardigans and blouses are vintage finds, while the rest of the knitwear is hand knit and hand crochet by a very talented lady here in Cork.

 
A variety of colours and textures are used in the men's tailoring. Stripes and check shirts are being used and, as with the women's costumes, the men can wear their outfits in different ways - a tie can be added or a waistcoat can be unbuttoned or the shirt sleeves rolled up to give a casual look.

 
I have thoroughly enjoyed working on the project and I am looking forward to seeing the performers singing and dancing on the beautiful set in my costume designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment