Monday 7 July 2014

London Calling... Susie Griffin

I grew up in Tralee and as a child I always had an awareness of Siamsa. Like most Irish children, I was taught Tin-Whistle at school. I was fortunate enough to be taught by the legendary Seanie O’Mahoney who suggested I audition for Finuge which was where young children trained in the styles of song, dance and storytelling necessary to perform with the company. But I had no interest. I enjoyed performing in Musicals but if I’m honest, I had written it off as being “diddly-aye”. How naïve I was!! 
This beautiful promotional shot on the Blasket Islands for Oileán was taken by Kerry photographer Valerie O'Sullivan
My Godmother, an Irish dancing teacher took me to see the Siamsa Christmas Show in 1994. It was the first time I had seen the Company perform. I left the theatre that night wishing I was involved. The style of Irish dance fused with styles such as Spanish was so exciting. The music so exhilarating and the standard so professional. I couldn’t believe I had disregarded it all those years.

Ignorance is indeed bliss. But at almost 13 years of age, I knew I would be too old to train at Finuge and training was something I needed. I went to one Irish dancing lesson when I was four years old and had given it up in favour of playing with Star-Wars toys!! 
 
My mind was made up. I was given the opportunity to work with Fr. Pat Ahern in 1995 on a pageant. He asked me to sing a solo as part of the show. This was my “in”. 
“Father, can I talk to you about Siamsa? I’d like to audition but I might be too old. 
Have you Irish Dancing?” 
No.” 
Start learning.” 
 
I auditioned for Fr. Pat a few months later but he said no. I needed more time to get my dancing to a professional standard.  Fr. Pat then retired and Oliver Hurley was appointed Artistic Director. Oliver was a huge influence on my attitude towards performing, striking the balance of the serious side but knowing when to have fun with it too. Eventually in 1997, I made the cut and began classes in the theatre.  
 
I went on to finish school and spent two summers working for the company as a full-time member, including devising new shows. There’s nothing like seeing a scene that you’ve developed with another performer in rehearsals being performed in front of an audience.  
 
In nine years I toured four times, recorded two albums,  and  devised Oileán and Samhain, as well as being an original company member in Clann Lir and Oisín. 
Susie as Eva Peron in a European touring production of Evita!
I left Ireland in 2006 to pursue my Masters in Musical Theatre. I learned so much in Drama School, but the fundamentals of being in a professional company, for me, came from Siamsa. I learned how to give my energy to performing six nights a week, I learned how being part of a touring company works.,I learned to think on my feet, and I learned that some of the best friendships are forged when people are allowed to “play”. 
 
I live in London now and love it. One day recently however, when I discovered that Sean Ahern had retired from the company and I had missed a momentous event in the history of Siamsa and in the life of a man that I have always admired, I cried wishing to be there for one more night to stand on the stage with him again 
That’s what Siamsa means to me. The nostalgia. The memories. Realising how special it was then… and now.
 
During her time at Siamsa Tíre, Susie performed in San Am Fadó, Oileán, Christmas show, Gobán Saor, Sean agus Nua, Clann Lir, Samhain, Oisín and Tobar na Scéalta! 

No comments:

Post a Comment