Monday 21 July 2014

Third generation at Siamsa ... Meet Dave Heaslip!

My grandfather Liam Heaslip was among the group who founded Siamsa Tire many years ago. My father Pierce Heaslip also joined, and here I am, the third generation to carry on the tradition.

 David with his grandfather and father taken about ten years ago.
I too, like many of my friends today, started my Siamsa life in Teach Siamsa in Finuge. Being from Tralee, I would get the bus that left from St. Brendan's church (on a Thursday night, I think it was) that would collect a group of us and take us to and from Finuge.  I did my training and made it to the main theatre where I did further training in song and dance at the Monday night classes.
 

As the King in Clann Lir, taking in 2011       (Photo by Maurice Gunning)
I loved every minute of the training and once I got on stage during the summer season I couldn't get enough of it. I loved the Irish dancing and still have the love for it today. Through the years I've toured with Siamsa nationally and internationally. One particular tour that I've fantastic memories of was the tour to America in 1999 when I was eleven years old. History had repeated itself. When my father was that age he also travelled to America with his father with Siamsa.
 

David in the centre in a scene from San Am Fadó / Fadó Faó taken in 2006  (Photo by Valerie O'Sullivan)

 

Growing up in Siamsa is something I would never change. The skills I have, the friends I've gained, the experiences of a life time. Today I am on a twelve month career break from my job at Tesco Ireland in Tralee Square. I've taken the opportunity to do some travelling and I'm currently living in Perth Western Australia. It is the first summer season I've not taken part in since I've started and I do really miss the stage!
 Slán. 

Dave Heaslip

 

No comments:

Post a Comment